August 2, 2016

My Second Sewing Project - Lunch Bag #2

Growing up, I've seen my mom sew countless times. She sewed our school uniforms, she sewed our Pajamas and made quilts and blankets for us. My mom was a self taught "sewist" and sewed during the school holidays and weekends (she's a teacher so she gets a lot of holidays!). While, shamefully unfortunately, I did not pick up the skills from her nor did I even get close to her machine. Somehow the sound of her vintage sewing machine scared me!

Being so far away from home.. I'm always subconsciously looking for little things that would bring me back to the memories of home.. of my childhood, anything that gives me a taste of home. Maybe that is why I would like to sew (ahem - learn to sew)

So we got a new sewing machine and it was set aside for at least 3 months. I was too intimidated to even go near it! Finally, I found some courage and sewed a few straight lines! with the help of Mr Chan. He grew up in a sewing family as well, his mom is a tailor by profession! and he was a professional seam remover ;) I have to give the credit to him for setting up the machine with the help of youtube videos.

This is my first project! here (I will create another posting for this)

Here is my second project! and I still can't believe I made this! For me, it is such a miracle to see how each seemingly simple stitch can create and turn into something useful (I'm not confident to say beautiful yet). I used drapery cotton canvas for this one - it was on clearance sale we found at the Fabric Row, Philadelphia for $2 a yard. Mr Chan is very 'concern' about the fabric pattern that I use and would not want anything with flowers or colors. But I managed to hide some colors inside for the lining :) I think it is just boring without some colorful fabrics. The inside i used cotton fabric for the lining and insul-bright for insulation.

You can see I'm still learning - I know the lines are not straight and they look awful if you look closely.



Roll top style without the buckles

The inside with cotton lining. Love the hidden colors ;)

Trying to see what it looks like with a parachute buckle
Added the buckles!

Its done! 







2 comments:

  1. I think the bag is very cute..wouldn't mind making one myself. I have been sewing since I was 10 years old (I'm now 77) and I know practice makes perfect. I have taught many quilting classes and most people when they start out have a hard time sewing a straight line.

    One lady, my friend Ruthie, struggled at first but she soon got better and has since gone on to make way more quilts than I ever will and she is still quilting at age 92. You will soon be able to do the same..lining up with the edge of the presser foot or the lines on the throat plate or even measuring the width of the seam you wish to make and putting a piece of masking tape on the bed of the machine to use as a guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Susan! That is so nice of you. Let me know if you make one!
    Meanwhile, I will keep practicing! :) with masking tape!

    ReplyDelete